Saturday, December 22, 2012

A decade of CWF, 2002 - 2012

The arms have gotten smaller but at least the trout have gotten bigger!
I am amazed how fast time flies.  It seems like yesterday that I was dragging a few text and photo boxes around on a free AOL web page builder.  You were one of the 'cool kids' if your profile had a link to this type page.  Although primitive, it was fun and I was pretty proud of mine.  Of course, this was an additionally exceptional feat as many times as someone would call the house and knock me offline.

There were a lot fewer sites on the web, but the social interaction and information exchange advancement was amazing.  Even then, I realized I was witnessing a major phenomenon taking place.  Secret fishing spots that were talked about in code at local bait shops, now were freely talked about in forums with everything down to the driving directions to get there.  Many a night I spent on the old www.GoFishOhio.com forums raging about small water spots being discussed.  Well I suppose I'm still known to do that now and then.  Other memories include; exchanging emails with Andrew Ragas (www.fishing-headquarters.com) where he was excited to be getting his driver's license and would be able to fish more.  He's now a college grad and a well known personality within the fishing community in the greater Chicago region and beyond.  I remember finding Andy and Corey's www.roughfish.com and loved learning there were others like me who enjoyed catching all the species of fish, not just the popular sportfish.  Anyone else remember the excitement of 'earning' the right to choose a fish species icon to associate yourself with on the forums?!  So much fun!  I also don't want to overlook Geoff's www.globalfisher.com and how enjoyable his community was as well.

As for me, I had always used the "CoolWater" name when registering for any site.  Maybe it was the cologne I was wearing at the time or I just thought it sounded cool - but it became my online identity.  When I learned of "Homestead Sitebuilder", my dreams of doing a website became a reality without knowing any html.  I simply combined my username with "fish" and CoolWaterFish was born.  To this day, people assume the name originated with my love for trout/steelhead fishing and other cold water fish species.  The reality was that it was pure ironic luck.  That fortunate fact presented itself well after the site started.

I feel like a fraud when it comes to how unskilled of a fisherman I was back in 2002.  Of course, I wonder 10 years from now if I will be saying the same thing about 2012.  Even though I didn't catch tons of quality fish in the early days, I did love trying to catch them and telling my stories.  I guess my passion for fishing was evident and kept enough people stopping by the site to keep me motivated.  When I look over the last 10 years, it seems that I have gotten better as a fisherman and as a person.  Fishing reminds me of life itself, a series of highs and lows that you always hope to improve on.  It is my hope that old friends continue to stop by here and that new friends find their way here.  Here's to the next 10!

1 comment:

  1. time sure goes fast, heres to many more years!

    happy new years

    ReplyDelete