Monday, December 31, 2012

Trout & an old bottle

The last day of the year found me at the stream seeking trout or Steelhead.  The big fish would elude me, but two small trout were brought to the net.  I was frustrated that I had dropped my digital camera the previous evening and of course it didn't work when I went to take photos of the fish.  They probably were of legal size, but I couldn't see harvesting the fish just for the sake of pictures (using a different camera at home).  Who knows, maybe some good fish karma will head my way for resisting smoked trout and sharing photos.

City Bottling Works Sandusky, O.
Leaving the water, I spotted an interesting green reflection.  Upon closer inspection, I could see it was an old bottle.  I dug it out of the sediment and was surprised to find it completely intact.  When the remnants of Hurricane Sandy brought storms through Ohio I had noticed many areas that had washed out or changed altogether.  This bottle becoming visible was surely a result from this.  The top 1/3 has a stone shell forming over it but you can still make out plenty of words on it.  It reads, "City Bottling Works Sandusky, O".  I will be working carefully to get it cleaned up, hoping not to break it trying to get the stone formation off.  I will do some high def photos if I am successful.  If anyone knows anything historical about the bottle or bottling company I would love to learn more.  My Google attempts haven't turned up very much info.  The bottle was definately one of the more interesting finds I have come across while out fishing and exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment