Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First day, first fish

I can't recall how long it has been since I arrived to a fishing destination waiting for the sun to come up.  Today I did just that, and it was even a bit more special knowing it was the first day of the year.  I was determined to get 2013 off to a good start. 
 
Small stream bliss
It would have been fun to chase big fish in the big rivers, but reports of ice shelves and slush diverted me to the small water.  I tried to be enthusiastic for what the day might hold but admittedly I had low expectations.  I was fishing a stretch that I hadn't fished in years.  I decided I would float a black hair jig tipped with two waxworms, an old standby that gives me confidence when I'm not sure what to use.  As I meandered from pool to pool, I came across one that just looked too good not to hold fish.  I decided I would invest a good portion of the morning camping it, and after 30 minutes I finally saw my float doing a bit of a dance.  Over excitement can be an angler's demise, and I lost the fish as it was just tapping at the offering.  For the next hour, I worked the same pool hoping for another opportunity.  I was just about to move on when my float turned sideways and then disappeared into the stream.  I lifted the rod and felt a small spirited fish on the other end.

First fish of the year, a beautiful Brown Trout
A fish worthy of a second look
As I brought the fiesty fish to the net, I was amazed to see it was a Brown Trout. A very nice surprise for my first fish of 2013. After a few photos, the fish was returned to the water.  It was just a single fish, maybe all of 12" long, but I was thrilled.  One part of me just wanted to leave after catching the gem, another part of me begged "more, more!".  The latter won.

I left that pool, convincing myself I had conquered the best prize in it.  A few minutes later I was working the tailout of a long riffle when my float bounced a few times.  I wasn't used to the new drift and wondered if the jig was just bouncing on some rocks.  This happened on several drifts and I finally told myself that I was setting the hook the next time it 'hangs up'.  The next time the float made the slightest deviation, I lifted the rod and felt a very similar sized fish.  As I netted the fish, I saw the more expected Rainbow Trout.

A not so pretty Rainbow Trout that screams of 'hatchery'
The Rainbow was rather homely for the species, but it was a second trout and another landed fish for the day.  After this catch, I was satisfied to leave.

I hope today was an indication of the year to come.

4 comments:

  1. a great start to the year for sure Adam, something about small stream trout fishing makes it top of the list for me. here winter trout is closed but the beauty of the streams is unmatched

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's generally accepted that we don't have much natural recruitment, so we can fish them year round. Pretty much a put/take fishery but I release nearly all of them. I agree that the small streams are a fun place to fish - so scenic and quiet... peaceful.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see your still out catching fish. Always look forward to reading the site.
    Jonny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jonny, glad you still stop by to check in. Hope all is well with you and you are getting out fishing a lot. We need to meet up to fish sometime.

      Delete