Saturday, January 5, 2013

All about trout

I hate falling into the exact same fishing routine, but if it's working I tend not to deviate from it.  The small water produced two landed fish with a couple missed bites each of the last two trips.  Today was deja vu with the exact same results.  What did come as a surprise was the species of trout, they were Brook Trout, which I rarely encounter.
A very light colored Brook Trout was the first of the day
A far more colorful Brook Trout followed
Watching them swim away is almost as much fun as catching them
There was only one low point of the day, losing a nice fish.  Not long after catching the two Brook Trout, I thought I had hung up on something when my float suddenly stood still.  It turned on its side into the current just as it would if it were a snag, it didn't twitch, didn't bob and didn't submerge.  I lazily reeled in slack and when I caught up to the 'snag' I felt weight and it pulled back at me.  The fish was only on a few seconds but long enough to feel some nice weight.  It was likely 4-5 pounds, not huge, but it felt like a monster when you've been catching 10-12" trout.  Fishing so little in 2012, I still feel a bit rusty.

Just another fun day on the water making memories.  I am quite surprised to have caught a Rainbow, Brown and Brook Trout so early into 2013.  This post title seemed all too appropriate for what I have been catching thus far, "All About Trout"!

2 comments:

  1. you'll never disappoint me with a trout post, what species of fish do you believe was the one that got away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure it was a Steelhead... or at least I tell myself that. I would be VERY upset with myself if the 4-5 pound fish was a Brown or Brookie. Hopefully, I get another shot at whatever it was.

      Delete